I wanted to make some muffins this past Sunday morning that I would be able to have for breakfast all week. I find that my mornings go by so quickly that I need something I can just grab and go. It worked really well a couple weeks ago when I made whole wheat cinnamon rolls. Those lasted all week. Yum!
I wanted to make something with whole wheat flour and dried cranberries, because I have those on hand, and I need to start using up the food in my cupboards. I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com. I had to make a few changes because I didn't have any actual butter or buttermilk. To see the original recipe, follow the link above.
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 6oz cup of Chobani Greek yogurt, plain
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake tin with paper liners or generously grease with cooking spray.
2. Mix margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. Mixing well after each. Mix in the yogurt and the molasses.
3. Add the flours, spices, and baking soda. Blend until well mixed. Stir in cranberries. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins.
*** I had some cinnamon-sugar mixture leftover from my whole wheat cinnamon rolls a few weeks ago, so I sprinkled the tops of these muffins with that. I think it added a little more spice, but it obviously is totally optional.4. Bake for 18-22 minutes in preheated oven or until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly pressed. Cool for about 10 minutes in pan before removing to wire racks.
These turned out to be so tasty! Even Jeff liked them, and I really didn't think that he would. They lasted me most of the week for a quick and easy on-the-go breakfast.