Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Recipe: Krusczyki

For Mother's Day, my step-mom put in a special request for an angel food cake. I was happy to oblige. Unfortunately, it left me with a lot of left-over egg yolks.

I scoured the Internet for a delicious way to use up the egg yolks. Most of the recipes I found were for sponge cake or something that would be baked in the same type of pan as the angel food cake. Now, that wouldn't work for me because, well, I had an angel food cake in that pan!

I was delighted for find this recipe for Krusczyki on Allrecipes.com (posted by SHARONA669). I'd never heard of it before, and there was no picture to go along with the recipe, but I thought I'd take a gamble.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 14 egg yolks
  • 1 pint sour cream
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 8 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups shortening
  • 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar for decoration

Directions:
  1. In a large bowl mix together all ingredients except shortening and confectioners' sugar. Stir into a ball, then turn dough out onto a floured surface . Knead dough for 1/2 hour. If you have a mixer with a dough hook attachment, mix for about 15 minutes.
  2. Let dough rest for 10 minutes.
  3. On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into strips that are 3 inches long and 1 inch wide. In the center of each strip, cut a 1 inch slit, lengthwise.
    Pull one end of the strip through the slit to form a bow.
    (This is my interpretation of making a "bow". They kind of look like little bow ties, right?)
  4. In a frying pan or an electric skillet, melt shortening and heat to about 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). in a frying pan this would be on medium high heat.
  5. Place cookies in hot oil. Cook on both sides until lightly browned then remove to a paper towel.
  6. Dust finished cookies with confectioners sugar. Tale of Two Sisters and Their Kitchens | Krusczyki
I brought these over for Mother's Day brunch. Everyone loved them!! They are not a real sweet cookie but are more like a little doughnut. I was surprised at how well they were received.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Clarinda--these look beautiful. I don't think I would have ever tried something so adventurous without a picture as a guide, but they turned out perfect looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm...they used to sell these @ the bakery i worked at years ago! i'm going to try this recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails