I got this recipe from the Nov 2001 issue of Pillsbury Classic Cookbooks, and I've made these cookies pretty much every year since. It's a relatively quick and easy recipe - as far as cookie recipes go.
- ¼ c butter, softened
- 1 (3-oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 (18.25-oz) white cake mix
- ¼ tsp red gel or paste icing color
1. Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, combine butter, cream cheese and egg; blend well. Add cake mix; mix until well blended. Divide dough in half. Add food color to half of dough; blend well for even red color.
2. For each cookie, measure 1 tsp white dough and 1 tsp red dough. Roll out each into 4-inch rope. Place ropes side by side. Lightly roll together; twist. Place 2-inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet; shape each to resemble a candy cane.
3. Bake at 350°F for 7 to 9 min or just until edges are golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets.