Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The joy of rhubarb

Ok so I don't have any pictures of these recipes. But they are so good that they are worthy of your imagination doing the job! If you think that making jam is hard, don't worry, this jam is so easy I think that a monkey could do it and it is TASTY!

All I have to say about the RHubarb custard cake is this one word.....Heaven. Yep it is that good. So here is 2 recipes for you all! Hey 2 for the price of one!!! YAY always a good deal!!!

Rhubard (whatever flavor jello) Jam

  • 5 cups chopped Rhubarb
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 package Jello of your choice (I used orange it was great but strawberry would be awesome!!!)

First gather up about 4 pint jelly jars...make it 5 to be on the safe side. Find a pot that will hold enough water to cover the jars tops with about an inch of water. Put it on to boil. Meanwhile toss rhubarb and sugar in a non reactive pot and cook down until, I think that technical term is mushy, stirring often. Add jello packet and stir until disolved. Don't forget to heat up your covers in hot water. Fill up hot jars and seal them up. Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.

Voila you are done. You just made JAM!!!


Rhubarb custard cake

  • 1 yellow cake mix prepared per cake box instructions
  • 4 cups chopped rhubarb
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 pint heavy whipping cream

Grease a 9x13 cake pan. Pour prepared cake batter in. Sprinkle rhubarb evenly on top of batter. Sprinkle sugar evenly over rhubarb. Pour whipping cream over the top of the cake. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes or until cake is nice and set. Let sit for at least 30 minutes. It takes a little while for the yummy custard to set. Beware though, this is highly addicting and will give you a belly ache if you should eat too much of its yummy goodness.....

hope you will enjoy these super easy but super good recipes!!

jennifer

3 comments:

  1. I still have a BUNCH of rhubarb in my freezer from last summer, and now it's already time for more. Guess I need to make some rhubarb treats this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have it coming out my ears!!!! My neighbors have piles of it and I can't just leave it there doing nothing! Make the custard cake....it is SOOOOOO good....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the custard cake on Memorial Day. Most everyone really enjoyed it. :) Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails