Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups chili, 1/2 cup rice, and 1 tablespoon cheese)
- 1 c long-grain white rice [originial recipe: 1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag long-grain rice]
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 1/4 c dried, minced onion [originial recipe: 1 cup chopped onion]
- 3/4 c chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed [originial recipe: 1/2 pound ground turkey breast]
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 tsp Wrcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-oz can Southwestern-style diced tomatoes with green chiles, jalapeños, and lime juice, undrained [original recipe: 1 (14.5-ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes with jalapeño peppers and spices, undrained]
- 2 (5.5-oz) cans V8 [original recipe: 1 (5.5-ounce) can tomato juice]
- 1 (5.5-oz) can of water (use empty V8 can) [original recipe did not call for water]
- 1/4 cup (1-oz) preshredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
PreparationCook rice according to package directions.
While rice cooks, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, [and turkey]. Cook 3 minutes or until done. Stir in chili powder and the next 9 ingredients (chili powder through water); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
Serve over rice, and sprinkle with cheese.