Monday, January 16, 2012

Nutmeg Cookie Logs

I first made these a couple years ago for Christmas. I was kind of surprised at how well they were received, and these quickly became a holiday favorite. It calls for rum extract, but I think it's somewhat optional. I know that this past Christmas I made them without it, and everyone still seemed to love them.
Nutmeg Cookie Logs
Yields 5 dozen cookies.

Ingredients:
Cookies:
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 cup margarine or butter, softened
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tsp rum extract (optional)
  • 1 egg
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp nutmeg

Frosting:
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 Tbsp margarine or butter, softened
  • 3/4 tsp rum extract (optional)
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 2 to 3 Tbsp half-and-half or milk
  • Nutmeg

Directions:
1. In large bowl, combine sugar, 1 cup margarine, 2 tsp vanilla, 2 tsp rum extract, and egg. Beat until light and fluffy.

2. Add flour and 1 tsp nutmeg; mix well.  Cover dough with plastic wrap; refrigerate about 45 minutes for easier handling.

3. Heat oven to 350°F. Divide dough into 12 pieces. On floured surface, shape each piece of dough into a long rope, 1/2 inch in diameter and about 15 inches long. Cut into 3-inch lengths; place on ungreased cookie sheets.

4. Bake at 350°F for 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets; place on wire racks. Cool about 20 minutes or until completely cooled.

5. In small bowl, combine all frosting ingredients except nutmet, adding enough milk for desired spreading consistency. Spread on top and sides of cookies. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg. Let stand until frosting is set before storing.
Nutmeg Cookie Logs
And here's another video on making cookies. I don't think this one turned out as well as my first. Oh well. Let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I have made these cookies since I was 9! its a family favorite and my kids still say its not the holidays with out these lovlies...they are best mixed by hand and use margarine...it makes a difference ..don't over mix or over bake...they are scrumptious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips! I should make these soon - even though the holidays are over.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails