Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls

I found this delicious looking recipe over at Nutritious Eats. Ok, well, I actually saw it first over at Happy Fit Mama's menu plan for the week. These sounded and looked so good, I couldn't wait to throw them on our menu plan for the week.

Yes, I actually made a menu plan this week.

I excitedly added egg roll wrappers to my shopping list, and made these the very next night. I was nervous about them because they have spinach in them. Jeff doesn't normally like anything with cooked spinach, so I had pretty much braced myself for having to eat the majority of them.

Turns out the spinach is hardly noticeable AND Jeff really liked them.

Southwestern Egg Rolls

Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls
Yield: 21 egg rolls

Ingredients
  • 1 (15.25 oz) can corn
  • 1 1/2 cups black beans, cooked, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (9 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
  • 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies, drained
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 pkg (21) egg roll wrappers
  • water for sealing egg roll

Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
  2. In a large bowl, combine everything but the egg roll wrappers. Place ~1/4 cup mixture in the center of one egg roll wrapper. Fold bottom corner over filling. Fold sides toward center over filling and continue to roll tightly to seal (see directions on egg roll wrapper). Using your finger, moisten remaining corner with water. Repeat.
  3. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place egg rolls seam-side down. Brush tops of egg rolls lightly with olive oil. Bake for 5-10 minutes until lightly brown. Turn rolls over. Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.
  4. Serve warm with salsa, guacamole and/or sour cream.
Southwestern Egg Rolls

I was really impressed with how well these turned out! In fact, they made my Happy Moment for the day. :)

I skipped the cilantro, because 1) Jeff dislikes cilantro even more than he does spinach and 2) Wal-mart was all out of cilantro. I LOVE cilantro, so this was kind of a bummer for me.

Technically an appetizer, we just ate them for dinner - and boy were they filling! We dipped them in sour cream and Frank's Red Hot sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails