Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Hamburger Soup

Today, I wanted to make a soup in the Crockpot because I knew that I wouldn't be home at dinnertime. I wanted to use hamburger as the base but didn't have a specific recipe in mind. I briefly looked in a couple cookbooks. I couldn't find anything that jumped out at me, so I decided to just wing it. I browned the hamburger with some onions and garlic (who can go wrong with that!) and added that to some veggies from the fridge/freezer and water with beef bouillon cubes in the Crockpot. I wasn't sure how to flavor it, so I looked up my spices in one of my cookbooks. I chose a few that were suggested for soups...and voila! My soup was born. Jeff LOVED this soup! He loved the flavor. The spiciness was just perfect. I thought it was quite tasty myself. Hope you enjoy it, too!
Hamburger Soup
Click here for printable recipe.
Click here for nutritional information.

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1/4 cup dried, minced onion
  • 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 cup sliced baby carrots
  • 1 cup diced potatoes
  • 6 cups water
  • 6 beef bouillon cubes
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • Tabasco sauce, to taste (not included in nutritional info)

Directions:
Brown hamburger with onion and garlic. Combine hamburger mixture with remaining ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.

1 comment:

  1. You're a braver cook than me. I rarely branch very far from a recipe.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails