Another Vegan score for dinner tonight!! This was very tasty, and bonus - Jeff really liked it! Of course, he did add some Frank's Red Hot sauce to it, but he adds that to everything. I no longer take any offense. :-) Seriously, though, this was super easy to make. You won't be disappointed. The original recipe said it yields 4 servings, but I think it yields closer to 6.
Salsa Rice and Red BeansYield: 4 servings
- 1 T Olive oil
- 1 med yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- Salt, to taste
- 2 (15.5-oz) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (4-oz) can diced green chiles, drained
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup Cheezee Sauce, optional (recipe coming soon)
- 1 large ripe tomato, diced
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds longer. Stir in the rice and water. Add salt to taste, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, chiles, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and pepper. Simmer to heat through and blend the flavors, about 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- Serve hot, topped with the diced tomato and drizzled with the cheezee sauce, if using.