I needed to make something for dinner. I thought pasta with red sauce sounded good, but, of course, I didn't have any red sauce on hand. I did have some veggies and tomato sauce. I could make a sauce from scratch. Without a recipe. Right?
Turns out, nope.
It turned out way too thin, so I improvised. Instead of serving it like a regular pasta, I served it like a soup. It was delicious!
Veggie Pasta Soup
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8oz) can water
- 1 (15.5oz) can black beans
- seasoned salt
- dried oregano
- dried basil
- crushed red pepper
- 6 oz elbow macaroni
- Heat oil in large skillet. Add celery, onion, and carrots. Saute until slightly soft. Add garlic and saute for another minute or so.
- Add tomato sauce, water, black beans and seasonings (to taste).
- Meanwhile cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Combine sauce and pasta and simmer for at least an additional 10 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.