I found something that would work on allrecipes.com. I made a few changes, and these turned out so tasty!
- 1 small golden nugget squash
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- (Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cardamom could be replaced with 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice)
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 T butter, melted
1. Wash squash. Prick with a fork and microwave for 60 secs. Remove from microwave, cut in half crosswise, and remove seeds. Place both halves in a microwave safe dish, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 6 minutes or until fork tender. Puree squash in a food processor. This should yield probably around 1 cup of squash puree, though I didn't actually measure it.
2. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line muffin tin with cupcake liner or spray with cooking spray.
3. While squash is cooking, whisk together dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, sugar, salt, spices).
4. In a heavy duty mixer (KitchenAid®), stir the milk, egg, and butter. Stir in the pureed squash. Gradually stir in the flour mixture until just moistened.
5. Spoon into prepared muffin tin, filling cups about ½ full. Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove from muffin tin and cool on a wire rack.
Enjoy with a cup of hot cocoa for a pleasant start to a cool fall day.